Friday, March 26, 2010

A note from a friend

A friend emailed me the following note recently, and I thought it was worth printing here:


“It’s terrible to say, but I forget to share my faith. I go to work. I get busy and the day slips away. I come home, take care of the kids and another day has passed without me sharing the gospel with my unsaved coworkers.

The New Testament is painfully clear. “Let your light shine in such a way. . . .” “Be ready to make a defense.” “Do not be ashamed of the gospel.” “And you shall be my witnesses. . . .”

And I also know the gospel message. All of us have sinned. The wages of sin is death. But the Lord caused the iniquities of us all to fall on Him. Salvation is a free gift. We just have to repent and ask.

It’s not that I don’t know I should share the gospel. And it’s not that I don’t know how to explain the gospel. I just don’t do it.

I did invite someone to church a few weeks ago. And they said yes! But something came up at the last minute and they couldn’t make it. Of course, I haven’t called back.

At the first of every year, I always make a list of New Year’s resolutions—or goals for the year. I have found that when I have a big goal, breaking it up into smaller, attainable steps usually helps.

So this is what I’m going to do: I’m going to add to my list of goals this year, four goals. First, I am going to pray for several of my coworkers and for the courage to approach them. Second, I am going to strike up a conversation about spiritual things with someone at work. Third, I am going to invite them to go to church with me. Fourth, I am going to share the gospel with them—either at lunch after church or at a lunch during the following week.

I love to check things off my list of goals. And I think these four steps are doable for me. Most importantly, it will keep me from forgetting to do it. It will help keep the idea of sharing my faith at the forefront of my mind. Hopefully, I can add a fifth goal: Repeat steps 1-4.”

Thanks for your honesty and good advice “Ed” (not his real name… or maybe it is!)

No comments:

Post a Comment